Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sneak Peek at COVEN by Sonia Kang Spring-Summer 2012 Collection



Forgoing some of my signature taxidermy accents I decided to challenge myself to use a lot of the supplies I had lying around that weren’t bird skulls. This was the result. I have a few more pieces but I’m waiting for the Edge Kote on the leather to dry properly before I add more embellishments. I posted this on Facebook and out of everything I had recently made this got the most attention. I can see why - it’s modern, edgy, and a little different. I have been really attracted to asymmetry lately because there’s something about unbalance and imperfection that just draws me in. This is a concept used by Japanese potters who believe imperfections are what makes their art human. This piece is a bit of a One-of-a-kind piece. But, I think I will replicate the asymmetry again but with a different look.

My supplier is currently still casting them and I hope to at least get the bird skulls by next week. I’m excited because this will be the first time seeing bone and black colored skulls in what I believe is a different type of resin. If the quality of the resin is what I like then I will soon start getting my larger skulls casted in small quantities for Bird Skull Clutch production which I am slating for the end of March to beginning of April. Testing has been good so far but I should really make a couple more clutches before I feel confident enough to sell. I have a waiting list of 5 people really really want the clutch. I have their color schemes, too. Hahaha. One customer, a man, wants colbalt blue leather. Awesome. 

In other news, I have started my business plan for COVEN by Sonia Kang. I’ve always been the type of person who is careful and tries to plan ahead. I’m impulsive but with business I always try to put a little more thought into my actions. On loose leaf paper, the business plan is at least 35 pages long and covers everything from going local within Canada and the US to establishing myself in a more international market. I have a German contact, a French-UK contact, a probable Japanese contact… I’m still looking at the economical news on the Euro situation before I make a move. I plan to at least establish a FW2012 Lookbook to make my advance as easy as possible. I’m lucky, to have made so many friends in the fashion industry because it has helped me see how I can do this more professionally to the standard within the industry. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment